WISDOM FOR LIVING DAILY DEVOTIONAL
FEBRUARY 09, 2023
TOPIC: SOME IMPORTANT TRUTHS ABOUT THE WORD OF GOD (1)
BY T. O. BANSO
“For this reason we also thank God without ceasing, because when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you welcomed it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which also effectively works in you who believe” (1 Thessalonians 2:13 New King James Version).
The entire Bible is the Word of God. 2 Timothy 3:16-17 says all Scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable for doctrine, reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. However, the Bible specifically states some important truths about the Word of God that we should pay attention to in relating to the Word of God.
Here are some important truths about the Word of God in the Bible:
1. God created the world through His Word. This is contrary to what the evolutionary theory says. Hebrews 11:3 says by faith, we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible. The Apostle Peter also refers to the creation of the world by the Word of God thus: “But they deliberately forget that long ago by God’s word the heavens existed and the earth was formed out of water and by water” (2 Peter 3:5 New International Version).
The Word of God has creative power. Learn to speak the Word of God and see how it will create what it says. Confess the Word of God; frame your world with the Word of God. Speak what God has promised in His Word into existence by speaking His Word.
2. The Word of God is effective. This is related to the first truth. As Isaiah 55:11 says, the word that goes forth from the mouth of God does not return to Him void, but it shall accomplish what He pleases, and it shall prosper in the thing for which He sent it. Therefore, have faith in the Word of God; speak the Word of God in faith, believing that it is not a mere word. It will produce results.
Paul, writing to the Thessalonians, talked about the Word of God, the Gospel preached to them, working effectively in them. “For this reason we also thank God without ceasing, because when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you welcomed it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which also effectively works in you who believe” (1 Thessalonians 2:13 New King James Version). The Word of God will work effectively in you, too, as you believe it.
3. The Word of God is truth. There is no falsehood in the Word of God. The writer of Psalm 119 says, “The entirety of Your word is truth, and every one of Your righteous judgments endures forever” (verse 160 New King James Version). David testified that the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether (Psalm 19:9b). You can depend on the Word of God because of the integrity of God. His Word is credible. God will do what He says in His Word that He will do. His Word will do what He says it will do.
4. The Word of God is pure and purified seven times. There is no impurity in the Word of God. Psalm 12:6 says the words of the LORD are pure, like silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Also, Proverbs 30:5a says every word of God is pure. There is no error in the Word of God.
5. The Word of God is unchanging or unchangeable; it endures forever. The Word of God is forever the same. This is because God is the same; He doesn’t change (Malachi 3:6a). Isaiah 40:8 says the grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever. That’s why the Bible warns not to add to or take away from the Word of God (Deuteronomy 4:2; Revelation 22:18-19).
Because the word of God does not change, it will do what it says it will do. Jesus said heaven and earth would pass away but His words would by no means pass away (Mark 13:31; Luke 21:33). Quoting from Isaiah 40:8, the Apostle Peter says that the word of the LORD endures forever (1 Peter 1:25a).
6. We are saved by the Word of God. Nobody can be saved without hearing the Word of God. “For ‘whoever calls on the name of the LORD shall be saved.’ How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?” (Romans 10:13-14 New King James Version).
People are saved when they respond to the Word of God. “But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, ‘Lord, who has believed our report?’ So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God” (Romans 10:16-17 New King James Version). Without the Word of God, people cannot have the faith to be saved, and without faith in Jesus, nobody can be saved. “For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God” (Ephesians 2:8 New King James Version).
1 Peter 1:23 says we are born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever. Paul, writing to Timothy, said that from childhood, he had known the Holy Scriptures, which were able to make him wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus (2 Timothy 3:15). Therefore, Christians must devote themselves to preaching the Word of God, especially to those who are yet to come to Jesus.
7. The Word of God sanctifies and cleanses. The Word of God cleanses a sinner and changes him into a saint. Ephesians 5:25-26 talks about how Christ loved the church and gave Himself for her so that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word. The Word of God sanctifies and cleanses us when we come to Jesus. Jesus prayed in John 17:17, “Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth” (New King James Version). The Word of God makes us clean (John 15:3). Everyone needs the Word of God.
In the second part of this devotional, we shall see more important truths about the Word of God, which will help us in our Christian journey. Delight in the Word of God (Romans 7:22).
If you are not born again, you need to give your life to Jesus now. I urge you to take the following steps: *Admit that you are a sinner and you cannot save yourself and repent of your sins. *Confess Jesus as your Lord and Saviour. *Renounce your past way of life – your relationship with the devil and his works. *Invite Jesus into your life. *As a mark of seriousness to mature in the faith, start attending a Bible-believing and Bible-teaching church. There they will teach you how to grow in the Kingdom of God.
Kindly say this prayer now: O Lord God, I come unto You today. I know I am a sinner and I cannot save myself. I believe that Jesus is the Son of God who died on the cross to save me and God raised Him on the third day. I repent of my sins and confess Jesus as my Lord and Saviour. I surrender my life to Jesus now and invite Him into my heart. By this prayer, I know I am saved. Thank You, Jesus, for saving me and making me a child of God.
I believe you have said this prayer from your heart. Congratulations! You will need to join a Bible-believing and Bible-teaching church in your area where they will teach you how to live your new life in Christ Jesus. I pray that you flourish like a palm tree and grow like a cedar of Lebanon. May you grow into Christ in all things and become all God wants you to be. I will be glad to hear from you. The Lord be with you.
PRAYER POINTS: The Word of God will effectively work in me in Jesus’ name. Father, I pray that You will sanctify Your children by Your truth, for Your word is truth. Father, let those who are yet to come to the knowledge of the truth of the Word receive the truth and be made free. They shall hear and obey the gospel in Jesus’ name.
(For over 900 in-depth and powerful messages by T. O. Banso, visit www.cedarministry.org).
T. O. Banso is the President of Cedar Ministry International, Abuja, Nigeria.
Phone No: +2348155744752, +2348033113523
WhatsApp No: +2349081295947