CHILDREN BIBLE STUDY OUTLINE BY PASTOR (MRS.) OLANIKE BANSO
TOPIC: SHOWING RESPECT AND HONOUR TO YOUR PARENTS (PART 1)
TEXT: 1 Kings 2:19
MEMORY VERSE: “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the LORD your God is giving you” (Exodus 20:12 NKJV).
INTRODUCTION: Our parents are the people who gave birth to us or are given the responsibility to bring us up. No one chooses his or her parents or relations. Everyone was born by the parents God chose for him or her. You are in the family God sent you to. Some people may not like the kind of parents they have or the family they belong to. This does not permit you to hate, disrespect or maltreat your parents in life. Thank God for your parents. There are some people who do not know their parents at all.
STORY OF HOW KING SOLOMON RESPECTED AND HONOURED HIS MOTHER (1Kings 2:19).
The story says, “When Bathsheba went to King Solomon to speak to him for Adonijah, the king stood up to meet her,bowed down to her and sat down on his throne. He had a throne brought for the king’s mother, and she sat down at his right hand.”
EXAMPLES OF PEOPLE WHO RESPECTED AND HONOURED THEIR PARENTS IN THE BIBLE
1.Jesus: He was submissive and obedient to his earthly parents (Luke 2: 51).
2. King Solomon: He stood to greet his mother, bowed to her and made her sit on a throne beside him (1Kings 2:19).
3. David: Before David ran away from King Saul who wanted to kill him,he took his father and mother and kept them to live with the king of Moab so that no evil would befall them (1Samuel 22:3-4).
3. Joseph: He lost his mother early in life but loved his father so much and honoured him. When his father came to Egypt, Joseph as the prime minister went out to welcome him, embrace him and wept publicly to show how much he loved and missed his father. He settled his father and family in a good land called Goshen, and he provided food for them (Genesis 46: 29-30).
WAYS TO RESPECT AND HONOUR YOUR PARENTS
1. Obey them (Ephesian 6:1, Colossians 3:20).
2. Speak to them in a respectful manner (Proverbs 12:18, 16:24, 15:1; Isaiah 45:10).
3. Make them happy and proud by your behaviour and academic success (Proverbs 10:1, 15:20).
4. Tell them the truth always. Be close to your parents and confide in them (Proverbs 16:13; Ephesians 4:15).
5. Listen to their instructions and advice (Proverbs 13:1, 23:24, 19:16).
6. Celebrate your parents from time to time. Remember their special days like birthdays, wedding anniversaries, retirement, ordination etc. (Proverbs 15:13; Ecclesiastes 3:2).
7. Be proud of your parents at every stage of your life especially when they are old. (Hebrews 2:11, 11:16).
CONCLUSION: Let us follow the example of people in the Bible who honoured their parents and good examples around us. Let us not join the generation of people who curse their parents. Anyone who curses his parents is already under a curse. Proverbs 20:20 says“If a man curses his father or mother, his lamp will be snuffed out in pitch darkness.” I pray that your light will not be extinguished in Jesus’ name.
We shall continue this study in the second part by learning more ways to show respect and honour to our parents and reasons to respect and honour your parents. Also, I will share two powerful stories with you about how some people treat their parents. These stories will impact your life and help you to respect and honour your parents more and more. STAY BLESSED.
Pastor (Mrs) Olanike Banso is a servant of God in Cedar Ministry International, Abuja, Nigeria. She has a ministry to children.
Phone No: +2348155744752, +2348033113523
WhatsApp No: +2349081295947