WISDOM FOR LIVING DAILY DEVOTIONAL
JULY 2ND, 2021
TOPIC: NINE TRUTHS ABOUT THE TRUTH
BY T. O. BANSO
“Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth” (John 17:17 New King James Version).
In the course of the trial of Jesus Christ, Pilate, the Judean Governor, asked Him some questions. One of his questions relevant to this topic is “What is truth?” John 18:38 says, “Pilate said to Him, ‘What is truth?’ And when he had said this, he went out again to the Jews, and said to them, ‘I find no fault in Him at all’” (New King James Version).
From this narrative, it does not appear that Pilate waited for an answer because the scripture says after he asked the question, he went out again and told the accusers of Jesus he found no fault in him.
What prompted Pilate to ask this question was what Jesus said about the truth when he asked him if He was a king. “Jesus answered, ‘You say rightly that I am a king. For this cause I was born, and for this cause I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice’” (John 18:37b New King James Version).
The Bible says so much about the truth and it is important to consider this. The opposite of the truth is a lie. Jesus said of the Devil, “He was a murderer from the beginning and has always hated the truth. There is no truth in him. When he lies, it is consistent with his character; for he is a liar and the father of lies” (John 8:44b New Living Translation). The Devil is an unrepentant liar. Don’t listen to him and don’t let him recruit you to be a liar.
There are some basic truths about the truth you should know as explained in the Bible, not truth based on society’s perception or definition. I am talking about the truth by God’s standard.
1.The word of God is truth. In His High Priestly prayer, Jesus said, “Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth” (John 17:17 New King James Version). The Word of God is not just true; it is truth. When you read or hear the Word of God, you are receiving truth.
In David’s prayer of thanks to God, he said in 2 Samuel 7:28a, “For you are God, O Sovereign LORD. Your words are truth” (New Living Translation). Similarly, Psalm 119:160 says, “The entirety of Your word is truth, and every one of Your righteous judgments endures forever” (New King James Version).
The more you expose yourself to the Word of God, the more the truth you receive. As you meditate on the truth you receive, it affects your life positively. If the truth is established in your heart, it will control your life. If it is the lie of the devil that is established in a man’s life, it will control your life also.
The Word of God is truth (Psalm 119:151). You should not only know that His Word is truth; you should also meditate on it.. “This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success” (Joshua 1:8 New King James Version).
2. The word of truth saves. Nobody can be saved without hearing the Word of truth that is written in the Bible. Ephesians 1:13 says, “In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise” (New King James Version).
What have you done about the Word of truth you have heard? Have you trusted in the Lord Jesus, having heard the Word of truth? The apostle James says of His own will, He brought us forth by the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures (James 1:18). In other words, God chose to make us His children by giving us the Word of truth. Don’t be a hearer alone; be a doer by giving your life to Jesus.
3. The trinity is truth. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are truth. Jesus Christ, the Son, is truth. Jesus says in John 14:6, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me” (New King James Version). Jesus is the truth; the Devil is is a liar and the father of lies.
John 1:14 says, “And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth” (New King James Version). Jesus is truth and the truth came through Jesus. “For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ” (John 1:17 New King James Version). If you receive Jesus into your life, you also receive the truth.
Jesus is truth just as God the Father is truth. God cannot lie (1 Samuel 15:29; Hebrews 6:18; Titus 1:2; Psalm 89:35). His truth endures to all generations and forever (Psalm 100:5; 117:2). His truth reaches to the clouds (Psalm 108:4). Also, the Holy Spirit is truth. He is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive (John 14:17).
The Holy Spirit, which dwells in a follower of Christ is the Spirit of truth.(John 16:13). Each follower of Christ must yield control to the Holy Spirit. He should speak the truth in love (Ephesians 4:15).
4. The truth will make you free. John 8:32 says, “And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free” (New King James Version). The good news is the Gospel of truth. It will make you free. Heretical teachings, false doctrines, religion, and human philosophies put people in bondage. Don’t be bewitched! Paul asked the Galatians who had bewitched them (Galatians 3:1-4). Receive the truth; let it make you free. Proverbs 23:23 says you should buy the truth and sell it not. In other words, invest in the truth and never sell it (Berean Study Bible).
5. The truth will guide and protect you. David asked the LORD to lead him in His truth and teach him (Psalm 25:5a). As we have seen, the word of God is truth and Psalm 119:105 says “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path” (New King James Version).
The psalmist says, “Oh, send out Your light and Your truth! Let them lead me; Let them bring me to Your holy hill and to Your tabernacle” (Psalm 43:3 New King James Version). If you follow the truth, you can never go astray. Let God’s truth, His Word, guide or lead you.
Also, the truth will protect you. Psalm 91:4b says, “His truth shall be your shield and buckler” (New King James Version). Don’t forget we are talking about God’s truth.
6. God must be worshipped in spirit and truth. Jesus told the Samaritan woman at Jacob’s well, “But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth” (John 4:23 -24 New King James Version). Jesus said the important thing would no longer be the place or location of worship but worshipping God in spirit and truth.
God must be worshipped in spirit and truth. Joshua told the Israelites to fear the LORD, serve Him in sincerity and truth, and put away the gods which their fathers served on the other side of the River and in Egypt (Joshua 24:14). Notice that he talked about serving the LORD in sincerity and truth.
Also, David said the LORD desired truth in the inward parts (Psalm 51:6). According to David, the LORD is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth (Psalm 145:18). Worship the Lord in truth. Call upon Him in truth.
7. Speak the truth. If you’re a child of God, speak the truth. rmember you haave received the truth – Jesus and the Word of truth. Don’t speak lies; lies are for the children of the devil. Zechariah 8:16 says we should speak each man the truth to his neighbor. The psalmist said in Psalm 119:43, “And take not the word of truth utterly out of my mouth, for I have hoped in Your ordinances” (New King James Version). Speak the word of truth always.
Stand for the truth. Paul said, “Our responsibility is never to oppose the truth, but to stand for the truth at all times” (2 Corinthians 13:8 New Living Translation). Speak the truth in love, growing up in all things into Him who is the head — Christ (Ephesians 4:15). “LORD, who may abide in Your tabernacle? Who may dwell in Your holy hill? He who walks uprightly, and works righteousness, and speaks the truth in his heart” (Psalm 15:1-2 New King James Version). Speak the truth (Proverbs 8:7).
8. Walk in the truth. Live according to the truth you have received. The apostle John said, “I rejoiced greatly that I have found some of your children walking in truth, as we received commandment from the Father” (2 John 4 New King James Version). Don’t waste the truth you have been taught. Practise it.
Also in 3 John 3-4, John said, “For I rejoiced greatly when brethren came and testified of the truth that is in you, just as you walk in the truth. I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth” (New King James Version). Practise the truth (1 John 1:6). The psalmist said in Psalm 119:30a that he had chosen the way of truth. Choose the way of truth. Walk in the truth (Psalm 86:11). Rejoice in the truth. 1 Corinthians 13:6 says love does not rejoice in iniquity but rejoices in the truth.
9. Preach the truth. The Gospel is truth. Preach the truth. The church of the living God is the pillar and ground of the truth (1 Timothy 3:15). Every minister of God should preach the truth. There should be no lie in sermons, prophecies, or any other ministration. Paul asked the Galatians, “Have I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth?” (Galatians 4:16 New King James Version).
Preach the truth even if it makes people uncomfortable or makes them hate you. Stand your ground, putting on the sturdy belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness (Ephesians 6:14). You will give account to God. Speaking about His covenant with the Levites, the LORD said, “They passed on to the people all the truth they received from me. They did not lie or cheat; they walked with me, living good and righteous lives, and they turned many from lives of sin” (Malachi 2:5-6 New Living Translation).
If you are not born again, you need to give your life to Jesus now. I urge you to take the following steps: *Admit you are a sinner and you cannot save yourself and repent of your sins. *Confess Jesus as your Lord and Saviour. *Renounce your past way of life – your relationship with the devil and his works. *Invite Jesus into your life. *As a mark of seriousness to mature in the faith, start attending a Bible-believing and Bible-teaching church. There they will teach you how to grow in the Kingdom of God.
Kindly say this prayer now: O Lord God, I come unto you today. I know I am a sinner and I cannot save myself. I believe that Jesus is the Son of God who died on the cross to save me and resurrected the third day. I repent of my sins and confess Jesus as my Lord and Saviour. I surrender my life to Jesus now and invite Him into my heart. By this prayer, I know I am saved. Thank you, Jesus, for saving me and making me a child of God.
I believe you have said this prayer from your heart. Congratulations! You will need to join a Bible-believing and Bible-teaching church in your area where they will teach you how to live your new life in Christ Jesus. I pray that you flourish like the palm tree and grow like the cedar of Lebanon. May you grow into Christ in all things and become all God wants you to be. I will be glad to hear from you. The Lord be with you.
PRAYER POINTS: Holy Spirit, help me to walk in the truth. Help to always speak the truth in love. Father, lead me in Your truth and teach me. I receive the truth that will make me free in any area I need to be free. I shall serve the Lord in Spirit and truth in Jesus’ name.
(For over 600 in-depth and powerful messages by T. O. Banso, visit www.cedarministry.org).
T. O. Banso is the President, Cedar Ministry International, Abuja, Nigeria.
Phone No: +2348155744752, +2348033113523
WhatsApp No: +2349081295947