WISDOM FOR LIVING DAILY DEVOTIONAL
OCTOBER 17 2021
TOPIC: EIGHT REASONS YOU SHOULD PRAY WITHOUT CEASING
BY T. O. BANSO
“Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain; and it did not rain on the land for three years and six months. And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth produced its fruit” (James 5:17-18 New King James Version).
Paul said in 1 Thessalonians 5:17 that the followers of Christ should pray without ceasing. This doesn’t mean praying continuously, non-stop, but to have an attitude of prayer and persistence or consistency in prayer. Jesus and some Bible characters demonstrated this. Elijah was one of them.
James 5:17-18 says, “Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain; and it did not rain on the land for three years and six months. And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth produced its fruit” (New King James Version). Though the Bible does not give us the details of Elijah’s prayer to stop rain from falling, it gives us some information about how he prayed and rain fell.
From that account in 1 Kings 18:41-46, we can see that rain didn’t begin to fall immediately after Elisha started to pray. No. Seven times he sent his servant to go and look towards the sea, while he bowed down on the ground, and put his face between his knees praying.
Six times his servants came back to tell him there was nothing – no sign rain was going to fall. But he kept praying and sending him back each time. He continued to pray without ceasing, believing there was going to be an abundance of rain as he had told the king, Ahab.
The seventh time, the servant came back to tell him there was a cloud, as small as a man’s hand, rising out of the sea. Elijah knew that was the manifestation of the answer to his prayer. The sky became black with clouds and wind, and there was heavy rain. You must pray without ceasing; never stop praying. Your answer will finally come if you pray in faith and in obedience to the Word of God.
8 Reasons you should pray without ceasing
1.So that the will of God may be done on the earth. Jesus asked His disciples to pray that God’s will be done on earth as it is in heaven (Matthew 6:10b). You need continuous prayer to enforce the will of God on earth, including His will in your life, home, community, nation, and the world in general.
2. Because the devil has not ceased from his work on the earth. He is going about like a roaring lion looking who he may devour (1 Peter 5:8). He wants to steal, kill, and destroy (John 10:10a). You must not cease from prayer when the devil has not ceased from his work.
3. In order to present your specific requests and those of your loved ones and others to God. There will always be issues you need God’s help to intervene in. You must ask before you receive (Matthew 7:7). “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God” (Philippians 4:6 New King James Version). James 5:13s says if anyone is suffering, he should pray.
4. For the deliverance of others from troubles. Ephesians 5:16b says the days are evil. When people are in trouble, most times, they can’t pray. They depend on the faithful prayers of others. Don’t fail such people in ceaseless prayer until they’re delivered. Paul said, “For I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayer and the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ” (Philippians 1:19 New King James Version).
5. In order to show love to your enemies. Jesus said we should love our enemies, not our friends alone (Matthew 5:44; Luke 23:34). One way to demonstrate that love is by praying for them without ceasing, especially each time you remember how they’ve hurt, harmed, or wronged you.
6. For peace to reign in your neighbourhood, city, state, and nation (Jeremiah 29:7). Don’t wait until there is a threat to peace, violence, or insecurity before you start praying. Pray for peace and the sustenance of peace. Pray without ceasing for the peace of your own Jerusalem (Psalm 122:6). Pray without ceasing for those in leadership so that you may live in peace (1Timothy 2:1-2).
7. Because the harvest is plenteous but the labourers are few. For this reason, Jesus said believers should pray to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest (Matthew 9:38; Luke 10:2). Pray without ceasing for more soul winners into the Kingdom of God and for the salvation of sinners.
8. Because of the constant need to lift up servants of God. Paul wrote to believers to pray for him (1 Thessalonians 5:25; 2 Thessalonians 3:1). He told Philemon that through his prayers and the prayers of other saints he would be released from prison to them (Philemon 22b). Hebrews 13:18 says, “Pray for us; for we are confident that we have a good conscience, in all things desiring to live honorably” (New King James Version).
Jude 20 says you should “continue to pray as you are directed by the Holy Spirit” (New Living Translation). Will you? Remember: “The effective, earnest prayer of a righteous man is powerfully effective” (James 5:16b World English Bible). Pray without ceasing.
If you are not born again, you need to give your life to Jesus now. I urge you to take the following steps: *Admit that you are a sinner and you cannot save yourself and repent of your sins. *Confess Jesus as your Lord and Saviour. *Renounce your past way of life – your relationship with the devil and his works. *Invite Jesus into your life. *As a mark of seriousness to mature in the faith, start attending a Bible-believing and Bible-teaching church. There they will teach you how to grow in the Kingdom of God.
Kindly say this prayer now: O Lord God, I come unto You today. I know I am a sinner and I cannot save myself. I believe that Jesus is the Son of God who died on the cross to save me and resurrected the third day. I repent of my sins and confess Jesus as my Lord and Saviour. I surrender my life to Jesus now and invite Him into my heart. By this prayer, I know I am saved. Thank You, Jesus, for saving me and making me a child of God.
I believe you have said this prayer from your heart. Congratulations! You will need to join a Bible-believing and Bible-teaching church in your area where they will teach you how to live your new life in Christ Jesus. I pray that you flourish like the palm tree and grow like the cedar of Lebanon. May you grow into Christ in all things and become all God wants you to be. I will be glad to hear from you. The Lord be with you.
PRAYER POINTS: Father, help me to continually labour in prayer and not be discouraged or tired. I receive the grace for my prayer to be powerfully effective. Holy Spirit, help me to be faithful in praying for others and not be selfish.
(For over 600 in-depth and powerful messages by T. O. Banso, visit www.cedarministry.org).
T. O. Banso is the President, Cedar Ministry International, Abuja, Nigeria.
Phone No: +2348155744752, +2348033113523
WhatsApp No: +2349081295947