WISDOM FOR LIVING DAILY DEVOTIONAL
JUNE 12, 2022
TOPIC: EIGHT IMPOSSIBILITIES IN THE BIBLE
BY T. O. BANSO
“Thus God, determining to show more abundantly to the heirs of promise the immutability of His counsel, confirmed it by an oath, that by two immutable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we might have strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold of the hope set before us” (Hebrews 6:17-18 New King James Version).
The Bible talks about certain impossibilities. One of them is that God cannot lie. It is impossible for God to lie. God’s promise may appear impossible but God cannot lie. The right attitude to have is to believe Him even when His Word seems impossible.
Romans 4:18-19 says, “When God promised Abraham that he would become the father of many nations, Abraham believed him. God had also said, ‘Your descendants will be as numerous as the stars,’ even though such a promise seemed utterly impossible! And Abraham’s faith did not weaken, even though he knew that he was too old to be a father at the age of one hundred and that Sarah, his wife, had never been able to have children” (New Living Translation).
God cannot lie. “Thus God, determining to show more abundantly to the heirs of promise the immutability of His counsel, confirmed it by an oath, that by two immutable things, in which it is impossible for God to lie, we might have strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold of the hope set before us” (Hebrews 6:17-18 New King James Version).
Titus 1:2 also underscores the fact that God cannot lie. 1 Samuel 15:29 says the Strength of Israel (God) will not lie. The Bible says in Numbers 23:19, “God is not a man, that He should lie, nor a son of man, that He should repent. Has He said, and will He not do? Or has He spoken, and will He not make it good?” (New King James Version). Romans 3:4 says, “Let God be true but every man a liar” (New King James Version). God will remain true even if all human beings are liars.
God is the God of truth (Isaiah 65:16). His law is truth (Psalm 119:142). All His commandments are truth (119:151). All His words are true (Psalm 119:160a). All God says can be trusted. It is impossible for God to lie. Psalm 138:2 says He has magnified His word above all His name. The Amplified Bible says He has magnified His word together with His name. God’s word cannot fail.
The eight impossibilities
1. It is impossible for God to lie. I have already discussed this.
2. It is impossible for the blood of animals to take away sin. In the Old Testament, the blood of animals was used as a sacrifice for sin but the death of Jesus ended that. “For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and goats could take away sins” (Hebrews 10:4 New King James Version).
3. It is impossible for those who have fallen away from the faith to be renewed again to repentance. The phrase “who have fallen away” refers to wilful apostates, not backsliders. It is impossible for their hearts to be made new a second time because they put the Son of God on the cross again and openly shame Him. “For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame” (Hebrews 6:4-6 New King James Version). The Revised Standard Version renders the phrase “if they fall away” as “if they then commit apostasy.”
4. It is impossible for human beings to understand God’s decisions and ways. “Oh, how great are God’s riches and wisdom and knowledge! How impossible it is for us to understand his decisions and his ways! For who can know the Lord’s thoughts? Who knows enough to give him advice” (Romans 11:33-34 New Living Translation). The wealth of the wisdom and knowledge of God is deep; no one is able to make a discovery of His decisions, and His ways may not be searched out (Bible in Basic English). God’s Word Translation says, “God’s riches, wisdom, and knowledge are so deep that it is impossible to explain his decisions or to understand his ways.”
5. It is impossible for anyone to please God without faith. “But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him” (Hebrews 11:6 New King James Version).
The Bible in Basic English puts it this way: “And without faith it is not possible to be well-pleasing to him, for it is necessary for anyone who comes to God to have the belief that God is, and that he is a rewarder of all those who make a serious search for him.” Faith is an absolute necessity for every child of God.
6. It is impossible to activate the power of God for miracles without faith. There is no impossibility for anyone who has faith. If a man has faith nothing shall be impossible for him. “Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, ‘Why could we not cast it out?’ So Jesus said to them, ‘Because of your unbelief; for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you’” (Matthew 17:19-20 New King James Version).
7. Man’s impossibility is God’s possibility. What is impossible with men is possible with God. “But Jesus looked at them and said, ‘With men it is impossible, but not with God; for with God all things are possible’” (Mark 10:27 New King James Version). Matthew 19:26 says the same thing. Similarly, Luke 18:27 says the things which are impossible with men are possible with God. Is anything too hard for the Lord? (Genesis 18:14a). No.
8. It is impossible that no opportunities for stumbling or committing sin will occur. People will sin and tempt others to sin. Offences are inevitable but don’t let them come through you or let anyone influence you to sin. “Then He said to the disciples, ‘It is impossible that no offenses should come, but woe to him through whom they do come!’” (Luke 17:1 New King James Version).
There will always be temptations to sin but don’t succumb to them. Endure temptation. James 1:12 says blessed is the man who endures temptation, for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.
1 Corinthians 10:13 says, “No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it” (New King James Version). Watch and pray, lest you should enter into temptation (Mark 14:38a).
If you are not born again, you need to give your life to Jesus now. I urge you to take the following steps: *Admit that you are a sinner and you cannot save yourself and repent of your sins. *Confess Jesus as your Lord and Saviour. *Renounce your past way of life – your relationship with the devil and his works. *Invite Jesus into your life. *As a mark of seriousness to mature in the faith, start attending a Bible-believing and Bible-teaching church. There they will teach you how to grow in the Kingdom of God.
Kindly say this prayer now: O Lord God, I come unto You today. I know I am a sinner and I cannot save myself. I believe that Jesus is the Son of God who died on the cross to save me and God raised Him on the third day. I repent of my sins and confess Jesus as my Lord and Saviour. I surrender my life to Jesus now and invite Him into my heart. By this prayer, I know I am saved. Thank You, Jesus, for saving me and making me a child of God.
I believe you have said this prayer from your heart. Congratulations! You will need to join a Bible-believing and Bible-teaching church in your area where they will teach you how to live your new life in Christ Jesus. I pray that you flourish like a palm tree and grow like a cedar of Lebanon. May you grow into Christ in all things and become all God wants you to be. I will be glad to hear from you. The Lord be with you.
PRAYER POINTS: Holy Spirit, help me to have the right attitude of believing God even when His words seem impossible. Father, there is no impossibility with You; nothing is too hard for You to do. Let Your Word come to pass in my life. Father, let not offences come through me. Uphold Your children; let us not fall away from the faith in Jesus’ name
(For over 800 in-depth and powerful messages by T. O. Banso, visit www.cedarministry.org).
T. O. Banso is the President of Cedar Ministry International, Abuja, Nigeria.
Phone No: +2348155744752, +2348033113523
WhatsApp No: +2349081295947