CHILDREN BIBLE STUDY OUTLINE
TOPIC: FOLLOWING GODLY EXAMPLES
TEXT: Numbers 13:1-33
MEMORY VERSE: “But be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity” (I Timothy 4:12).
SONGS: I want to walk, walk like Jesus. I want to go wherever He goes. I want to walk, walk like Jesus. For I know He loves me so.
INTRODUCTION: The word “example” refers to a pattern to look at, follow or copy. It could also refer to a person’s good or bad behavior that other people copy or imitate.
There are two types of example: Good and Bad Examples. In every generation, and in every society, there are many bad examples and there are also good ones to follow. Wise people and children who want to please God and become all that God wants them to be, will always choose good examples to follow. God does not force anything on anybody but encourages us to make a right choice (Deuteronomy 30:19).
In our days, there are more bad examples than good examples around us, and this is the reason why children should be guided on who to follow, copy or imitate. Everyone becomes like the example he or she follows. If you copy a wise person, you will be wise. If you copy a wicked person, you will be evil.
SOME BAD EXAMPLES IN THE BIBLE
- Achan: An example of covetousness (Joshua 7:20-21).
- Jeroboam: An example of idolatry (1 Kings 12:26-33).
- Nabal: An example of foolishness (1 Samuel 25:25-37).
- Eli’s sons: An example of immorality and despise for holy things (1 Samuel 2:22-25).
SOME GOOD EXAMPLES IN THE BIBLE
(1) Jesus Christ: He is an example of obedience, forgiveness, humility, purity and love. (John 15:10, Colossians 3:13, Philippians 2:5, 7, 1 John 3:3, John 13:13) Jesus is our perfect example. (I Peter 2:21) Let us follow him sincerely.
(2) Phinehas: (Not one of the sons of Eli). An example of holy zeal. He was passionate about God (Numbers 25:7-13).
(3) Abraham: An example of faith, trust and obedience to God (Gen 12: lff, 22:l-14).
(4) Daniel: An example of holy and consecrated life (Ezekiel 14:14, 20).
(5) Job: An example of patience (James 5:10, 11).
(6) Paul: An example of Christian living (Philippians 3:17).
GOOD EXAMPLES IN OUR DAYS AND AROUND US
(1) The Holy Scriptures or Bible: Things that were written in the Bible were written for our examples and instructions (l Corinthians 10:11).
(2) Godly parents: If our parents fear and please God by doing what is right according to the word of God, then they are a good example to follow (Ephesians 6:1).
(3) Our pastors and true servants of God: If your pastor follows the examples of Jesus, then he is a good example to follow. Apostle Paul encouraged the Corinthians to imitate him as he imitated Christ (l Corinthians 11:1).
(4) Other people who follow and imitate Christ: These people include your teachers, elders, friends, neighbours, national leaders, musicians etc. As long as the quality of life and actions of these different people match that of Christ, then we can follow and imitate them (Hebrews 6:12, I Corinthians 11:1).
Conclusion: Every person is an example to somebody at one time or the other. You are an example that your friends, neighbours, and younger ones are looking at. Are you a good example or a bad example? Be a good example to others in your words, conduct, love, spirit, faith, and purity (I Timothy 4:12). May you live your life to please God and bless other people. REMAIN BLESSED.
Pastor (Mrs) Olanike Banso is a servant of God in Cedar Ministry International, Abuja, Nigeria. She has a ministry towards children using specially prepared Bible study outlines to minister to them.
Phone No: +2348155744752, +2348033113523